 Off-Topic / Debate / 9854
Re: Science and beliefs (was Re: Alien races)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 15:44:52 GMT

Selçuk Göre wrote:
What I want to learn is, this "young earth" thing is a "belief" or do
you have any support for it (scientific, I mean), or to be in a position
to say this and defend.

Science can't prove whether it is a "young earth" or an "old earth," so
everyone has to *believe* that one of them is true.  So it is a "belief"
thing for everyone.

But everything starts changing direction if you put this as a
"scientific" theory, then I call this simply "stupid" if I use softest
appropriate term of the language.
I understand where you're coming from and what this means, so I take no
offense. :-)

The main
idea is, science never believes anything. It observes the evidence, and
produce theories based on them.

It's more like science is a tool man uses to gain knowledge about the
universe.  The *scientists* interpret this knowledge and form the theories.
But there also is no completely objective scientist.  Everyone has his own
bias which creeps into his theories, no matter how objective he tried to be.

--Ryan