 Off-Topic / Debate / 9849
Re: Robert gets to invalidate logic (was Re: Science and beliefs (was Re: Alien races))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:51:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Robert Bevens writes:
On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 00:13:14 GMT, "James Brown"
<galliard@shades-of-night.com> wrote:
If there are two (or more) interpretations of the Bible, and they are not
all correct (which is the premise being talked about), then what determines
which one is correct?

An infinite number of possibilities.  Open up a Crayon box and
contemplate for a bit.

Sarcasm aside, how about a real answer?

What kind of answer do you want?  Here I'll break it down logistically
again since you seem to like logic so much.

You have multiple interpretations of the bible, they are not all
correct.

So which one is correct?  Easy, the one that's correct of the multiple
interpretations.

You are hedging the issue.  He asked you a simple question, "Which is correct?"
(I would add an "and why" to it, though) and you avoid it by saying "One of
them."  This is not answering his question.  As well answer the math teacher's
question of "What is 1 + 2?" with "A whole real number."

The whole premise of one being correct and all others being false is what has
led to countless human deaths (quite possibly more than any other human cause).
Without this statement, concepts of Crusade, Jihad, and all other forms of holy
war would never have been created.  If God is infinite, why can he not appear
to different cultures in different forms?

That's great, but you still made an assumption and overlooked my
question.  I said, "How can you assert with any confidence that the
literal word is false?", not "You assert that the literal word is
false."  Now, do you need me to point out WHERE you made an
assumption, or can you figure it out on your own?

One the one hand, we have mountains of evidence that contradicts the Bible.  On
the other hand, we have a 1500-2000 year old book that was written in the days
when people believed thunder, lightning, and floods were the Wrath of God.
I'll take the verifiable statements of science anyday, thank you very much.  :)

Jeff