 Off-Topic / Debate / 9817
Re: Science and beliefs (was Re: Alien races)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 19:09:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ryan Farrington writes:

Now the aspect of Theistic Evolution (the idea that God used evolution to
create) does not make that "variation" of the Bible's teaching a new
religion, but it has the potential to undermine principal doctrines,
specifically that of salvation.

Why?

Other questions also arise, casting doubt
on all of the Bible, such as how literal are the rest of God's words, and if
God did create using evolution, why did he tell us something different (i.e.
creation)?

The Bible also says in Proverbs that "It is the glory of God to conceal a
matter, and the glory of man to seek it out."  God gave us the faculties of
reasoning, inquisitiveness, and creativity, but our arts, science, and industry
has developed...indeed evolved...over many millenia.  I doubt that ancient man
would have comprehended the particulars of evolution had it been presented by
prophets.  God approaches humanity on a level compatible to our maturity and
abilities.  Five thousand years ago, a lesson on genetics would have been
nonsense. God has spoke Truly about creation, but He has not yet spoken
comprehensively.

Anyway, I'm not a rabid evolutionist; perhaps a hundred years from now much of
our contemporary scientific knowledge will have been proved to be mostly hogwash
and ill-informed speculation.  This universe is larger than we can fathom, and
our knowledge is but a meager sliver.  Our commitment is to The Lord, and we
need not fear the particulars of His creation.  Dust and ashes.  "Nothing can
separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

james