 Off-Topic / Debate / 9816
Re: Science and beliefs (was Re: Alien races)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 18:55:51 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ryan Farrington writes:
The thing is, I believe the Bible to be literal truth about the universe!
So in that case, I never will stop believing the Bible.

  Ryan, I don't presume to question your Faith, but for a number of reasons
your position on the nature of text isn't entirely supportable.  If, for
instance, even a single snippet of The Bible is found to be not literally
true, then the literal interpretion of the whole work falls.  For that
matter, as I've asked elsewhere, if we are to interpret The Bible literally,
are we all literally and in fact mustard seeds?  If we are not, then The
Bible by definition cannot be taken literally.  Further, every parable,
symbol, and metaphor must be taken literally, and Christ will appear as
predicted in Revelations with a literal sword in his literal mouth.  If not,
we must be provided with an index of when scripture is to be read as written
and when it is to be interpreted as metaphor.

A few other basic problems with the literality of the Bible:

- Which translation?

- How do you reconcile the apparent contradictions? Would someone care
to list them (I'm affraid I'm not a student of the Bible and therefore
can't list them all though I have heard them stated)?

- I seem to remember that there are Bible passages which would seem to
imply that the value of Pi is 3 or some other number other than what
modern mathematics understand it to be. Assuming I'm not totally wacko
on this, how does one reconcile that if you draw a circle, and then
multiply the measured diameter by 3 and compare that to the measured
circumfrence that the two values are different without punching a hole
in your faith that the Bible is absolutely literally true.

Of course honestly I almost don't care about the answers because to the
thought processes which allow absolute literal interpretation of the
Bible are so far removed from my own that I don't see how we could ever
possibly have any sort of productive discussion of the topic.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com