 Off-Topic / Debate / 9829
Re: Science and beliefs (was Re: Alien races)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 20:18:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

A few other basic problems with the literality of the Bible:

- Which translation?

IMO, the issue of interpretation and translations and so forth is, at a
fundamental level, very simple: Reasonable, well-intentioned, well-informed,
open-minded inquiry is a root necessity of any fruitful scholarly, literary,
scientific, moral, religious, etc., etc. intellectual endeavor.  At the very
warp and woof of the issue, at some point one has to make a seasoned value
judgment and to simply say: "I must trust my faculties in this matter, and
thusly I conclude...."  We shall never find any authoritative work that is
beyond reasonable criticism.  At some point we must apply serious, but humble,
judgment in a matter.  I judge the Bible to be reliable and trustworthy for a
number of reasons.  At the very heart of things, I do not *know* in the same way
that I know that I exist that the Bible is reliable; but, somewhere I must reach
a foundation upon which I state "Here am I and here I stand."

- How do you reconcile the apparent contradictions? Would someone care
to list them (I'm affraid I'm not a student of the Bible and therefore
can't list them all though I have heard them stated)?

There are indeed contradictions, noteably that Gospel writers record some events
in different sequences.  Some inconsistencies are those such as two very
different accounts of Judas' death.  Most of the inconsistencies are, IMO, of
small concern, although no doubt others would disagree with me.  I have seldom
noted, however, contradictions that gave me theological pause.  I do not believe
in the inerrancy of scripture, but I do believe that it is divinely-inspired,
and to that end I believe the books to display a very high degree of consistency
in terms of theological content; that which the Church (i.e., the universal body
of believers) likes to call the Harmony of Scripture.

- I seem to remember that there are Bible passages which would seem to
imply that the value of Pi is 3 or some other number other than what
modern mathematics understand it to be. Assuming I'm not totally wacko
on this, how does one reconcile that if you draw a circle, and then
multiply the measured diameter by 3 and compare that to the measured
circumfrence that the two values are different without punching a hole
in your faith that the Bible is absolutely literally true.

I have a fairly decent working knowledge of the Bible, and I've never
encountered anything like that.  There are some crack-pots who like to make a
big deal out of numerology in scripture; Pay them no mind.

james