 Off-Topic / Debate / 9939
Re: Science and beliefs (was Re: Alien races)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 18:07:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

A few other basic problems with the literality of the Bible:

- Which translation?

IMO, the issue of interpretation and translations and so forth is, at a
fundamental level, very simple: Reasonable, well-intentioned, well-informed,
open-minded inquiry is a root necessity of any fruitful scholarly, literary,
scientific, moral, religious, etc., etc. intellectual endeavor.  At the very
warp and woof of the issue, at some point one has to make a seasoned value
judgment and to simply say: "I must trust my faculties in this matter, and
thusly I conclude...."  We shall never find any authoritative work that is
beyond reasonable criticism.  At some point we must apply serious, but humble,
judgment in a matter.  I judge the Bible to be reliable and trustworthy for a
number of reasons.  At the very heart of things, I do not *know* in the same way
that I know that I exist that the Bible is reliable; but, somewhere I must reach
a foundation upon which I state "Here am I and here I stand."

Unfortunately, your stated position doesn't jive with the position stated
by Ryan: "I believe the Bible to be literal truth about the universe!".
The two statements are different.  Not saying that either of you is more
correct, just pointing out that they are different.

There are indeed contradictions, noteably that Gospel writers record some events
in different sequences.  Some inconsistencies are those such as two very
different accounts of Judas' death.  Most of the inconsistencies are, IMO, of
small concern, although no doubt others would disagree with me.  I have seldom
noted, however, contradictions that gave me theological pause.  I do not believe
in the inerrancy of scripture, but I do believe that it is divinely-inspired,
and to that end I believe the books to display a very high degree of consistency
in terms of theological content; that which the Church (i.e., the universal body
of believers) likes to call the Harmony of Scripture.

Actually, a "Gospel harmony" or "Harmony of the Gospels" is a specific type
of analytical work, where the four gospels are physically juxtaposed
(usually in columns) to show where they are alike, and where they differ.

They are good books to study, if one cares to look for inconsistencies in
scripture...

Steve