 Off-Topic / Debate / 9860
9859  |  9861
Subject:
Theistic Evolution (was Re: Science and Beliefs)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 17:13:13 GMT

James Simpson:
Now the aspect of Theistic Evolution (the idea that God used evolution to
create) does not make that "variation" of the Bible's teaching a new
religion, but it has the potential to undermine principal doctrines,
specifically that of salvation.

Why?

James,
If God used evolution to create (and an integral part of evolution is
struggle and death) then God created by using death.  In Romans 5:12, God
said that death entered the world as a result of sin.  Did God create sin so
that he could "creatively evolve" everything?  If so, then God is a sinner
and He is the Devil.  But of course that can't be true.  So if sin somehow
was in the world, God could not have considered His creation "good" (Genesis
1:3, 10, 12, 18, 21, 25, *31*).  Also, sin would be an inherent part of
creation that God would not have to save us from.  If He did have to save
us, then that would seem like God couldn't do a good enough job in creation
to do it without sin and death.

You said, "I don't take a literal view of Adam and Eve, for example; I see
it as a metaphor for our (ancient) human rebellion."  At what point in time
do you believe this human rebellion came about?  And if Adam was a metaphor,
he could not bring forth children, and then the genealogies of Jesus in
Matthew 1:1-17 and Luke 3:23-38, which trace Mary and Joseph down to Abraham
and then to Adam, imply that Jesus is also not a literal historical figure
who did not literally die for us.  And keep in mind that it is because Adam
(or man) sinned that sin and death came into the world (Romans 5:12), and
not the other way around.

--Ryan