 Off-Topic / Debate / 9601
9600  |  9602
Subject:
Looking for feedback.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:22:31 GMT

Not quite .debate material (yet), but I thought this might be a good place
to solicit ideas.

I have a coworker whose views on several key matters differ from and are
irreconcilable with mine.  For purposes of discussion, let's say that
neither one of us is "right," and that the matter is one of preference.
When he became aware of my views on the subject, he made a casual (by which
I mean not at all inappropriate to the workplace, and almost entirely during
lunch or breaktime) effort to convince me of the correctness of his own
views.  Ultimately he presented me with a book that he felt argued his case
convincingly, and he hoped I would "come around" once I'd read it.
  Well, I've read it.  I can say categorically that the book isn't nearly as
convincing as he'd indicated, and in fact it presents fictionalized
transcriptions of conversations as if they were well-reasoned arguments.
  My problem is this: I consider my coworker a friend, and I certainly
respect him professionally, but the arguments (such as they are) that he
offers are logically unconvincing.  How, then, do I indicate that I cannot
be convinced by such arguments without offending him?  The matter involves
much greater personal investment for him than for me, so I don't want to
insult him unintentionally, nor do I wish to ridicule him.
  Can anyone offer insight into how I might handle this?  He's not
particularly fragile, but, again, he's more commited on a personal level to
his viewpoint than I am to mine.
  As always, feedback is much appreciated!

     Dave!