 Off-Topic / Debate / 933
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 16:10:40 GMT

On Mon, 17 May 1999 16:40:14 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:

John Neal wrote:

I think this point comes close to getting at why folks are a little leery
of semi-automatic and automatic weapons so readily available.  Because
most of the population is *not* as responsible and conscientious about
using their weapons as Mike.

Perhaps if HCI wanted to make a better world they'd push for things that
would incent people to be as responsible as Mike (and myself, I fancy to
think) are. Then we'd be safe from all manner of ills which cannot be
wished out of existance.

What's HCI?

Trying to ban guns is like trying to repeal the law of cause and effect.
It has unintended(1) consequences.

1 - I'll be charitable and not directly ascribe to HCI and their fellow
travelers that they desire that people more easily become victims of
tyranny, small(criminal) or large (government). I'll just chalk it up to
stupidity. But sometimes I do wonder. IS Teddy Kennedy actually evil?

Perhaps we should ban automobiles. After all, in the hands of those that
are immature, they have a tendency to go off bridges and inadvertantly
drown secretaries.

On the open road, you are only seconds away from death.  Scary thought, the
first time you realize it.  Especially if you're doing 70MPH through a
forest area at the time.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, I see a *big* parallel between cars and
guns.  I have a right to own and operate a car, but that right should not
overrule the rights of people around me to life, liberty and the pursuit of
happiness.

Steve