 Off-Topic / Debate / 932
Re: Gun debate (was Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 16:05:42 GMT

On Mon, 17 May 1999 21:45:33 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

Duane Hess <DNJHESS@ZDNETMAIL.COM> wrote:
The big reason I see some value in gun licensing is that education could
become a part of the requirement to own a gun which would tremendously
increase the percentage of gun owners who are responsible.

That is my hope, belief, and aim.

Steve

This may be some common ground where we can all agree.

I can agree with the thought.  Never safe to assume that the losers
who end up making up the regulations and nit-picky junk would actually
create a program that would be effective.

True.  In which case, it would be time to change the legislation.

But, I think training which is mostly ineffective is still better than no
training.

Maybe I've been watching too much TV (entirely likely), but I have these
mental images of people walking into gun shops, buying a weapon OTC, and
thinking that they are suddenly safe from attack.  Without knowledge and
experience, they are a danger to themselves and others.

Steve