 Off-Topic / Debate / 8874
Re: FA – Babies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:04:02 GMT

Well, it's rude to back out of the deal I suppose, but at the same time, if • you
can get a little cash out of it and send the kid to a better family, then why
not?

But how did the mother know it was a "better family"?

Pity for the US family involved (The Allens):

It is a shame when your past crimes haunt you.

“Mrs Allen was an unfit mother because she had an old conviction
for embezzlement.”

Fun aside, I have no way of knowing if the embezzlement charge is true or
relevant.

Well, I think it's better that it be up to the people involved, rather than
some strange bystander (you),

or you?

to determine what a "better" family is.  Some
people think that a religious family would be an important ingredient in "good"
or "better" but I don't.

Me neither. Some religious values are *good* though.

So if I were to give/sell a baby,

Should one have the right to buy and sell humans - is that not akin to slavery?

I wouldn't want
those other people applying their philosophy to my life.

If one does not want a baby, once born, why should they be able to choose
where it ends?

You and I don't know what the embezzlement charge is or even if it is
completely made up.

I do not even know what constitutes "embezzlement" in US law.

But (I guess unlike you) I trust people to use their sense
and wisdom every day.

Indeed.

Scott A