 Off-Topic / Debate / 8870
Re: FA – Babies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:40:59 GMT

Scott, thanks for pointing this story out.

However, there is much more to the story than that. It appears that the
babies they now have had already been placed with a family in the US, and
that the natural mother had tricked the US family into returning the babies
to her when the UK couple doubled her “expenses” (~$14000).

Well, it's rude to back out of the deal I suppose, but at the same time, if you
can get a little cash out of it and send the kid to a better family, then why
not?

But how did the mother know it was a "better family"?

All this leaves me feeling:
Disappointed that UK law could not stop this – we have a some sort of
agreement with the US which means that UK couple will only have to meet US
standards.
Disappointed that US law could not stop this.

Why would a government stop such a deal where everyone involved is a winner?

Time will tell if everyone is a "winner". Even if they are - who is to say
that the babies could not have gotten a better familiy if the system was
better regulated?

Disappointed regarding the apparent morals of the natural “mother”.

You disagree with the morality of her actions?

Yes.

Disappointed regarding the apparent morals of the UK couple.

Gosh.

Indded

Pity for the US family involved (The Allens):

It is a shame when your past crimes haunt you.

“Mrs Allen was an unfit mother because she had an old conviction
for embezzlement.”

"haunt" is an apt word. It appears that the UK couiple live in a house which
they claim if haunted. However, as the female of the couple is a
self-prolaimed witch this may not be a problem! See:
"WITCH MUM PUT A SPELL ON ME"
http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13321497

Fun aside, I have no way of knowing if the embezzlement charge is true or
relevant.

Scott A

Chris