 Off-Topic / Debate / 8819
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:19:17 GMT

I started a new thread on this topic...
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=8797
-Jon

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
1 - I dispute your 1:10^50
2 - I don't have the # of stars in the universe handy (NOONE does), but it is
multi-magnitudes beyond trillions.

Not to mention the possibility of multiple planets around a large # of those
stars
is becoming more evident as our sensing equipment improves.  Just a few years
ago,
they couldn't prove the existence of a single planet outside of our solar
system.
They can now.

Jon Kozan wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Jon Kozan wrote:

(snip)
I find given the scale of the
universe, it seems mathematically likely that there is extra-terrestrial
life.  Evidence is suggesting that planets are fairly common.  The right
mix
of time, elements, stablity, heat and light are required, but again, • given
the scale, it seems earth-like conditions are likely to be reproduced on • a
significant number of places.

Sorry Bruce, but I must differ - you must be speaking as a layman there.
While planets seem to exists in ever-increasing numbers - that we can see
evidence of, there is no evidence of life elsewhere. Not that I'm saying • it
won't be eventually found, but the odds aren't with it.

In fact the odds are so _not_ with it (about 1 in 10 with 50, give or • take
10,
zeros chance) that we could never have come into being without some other
force/being/etc behind it.

Even if the odds WERE 1:10^50, the sheer # of stars in the universe give it • an
EXTREMELY good chance of happening elsewhere.  MANY elsewhere's, actually.

And thinking that God created a universe of BILLIONS (Trillions, • quadrillions,
etc) of stars just to give us a pretty sky to look at, again, is rather
arrogant.

I think you're well-intentioned - but on the mathematics game -- you're • sorely
mis-informed.

I'll take your billions and even trillions of stars against my 10^50 any • day.
You see, you're talking 10^12 vs 10^50 -it's soooo far off it's laughable.