 Off-Topic / Debate / 8815
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 22:44:51 GMT

1 - I dispute your 1:10^50
2 - I don't have the # of stars in the universe handy (NOONE does), but it is
multi-magnitudes beyond trillions.

Not to mention the possibility of multiple planets around a large # of those stars
is becoming more evident as our sensing equipment improves.  Just a few years ago,
they couldn't prove the existence of a single planet outside of our solar system.
They can now.

Jon Kozan wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Jon Kozan wrote:

(snip)
I find given the scale of the
universe, it seems mathematically likely that there is extra-terrestrial
life.  Evidence is suggesting that planets are fairly common.  The right
mix
of time, elements, stablity, heat and light are required, but again, given
the scale, it seems earth-like conditions are likely to be reproduced on a
significant number of places.

Sorry Bruce, but I must differ - you must be speaking as a layman there.
While planets seem to exists in ever-increasing numbers - that we can see
evidence of, there is no evidence of life elsewhere. Not that I'm saying it
won't be eventually found, but the odds aren't with it.

In fact the odds are so _not_ with it (about 1 in 10 with 50, give or take
10,
zeros chance) that we could never have come into being without some other
force/being/etc behind it.

Even if the odds WERE 1:10^50, the sheer # of stars in the universe give it an
EXTREMELY good chance of happening elsewhere.  MANY elsewhere's, actually.

And thinking that God created a universe of BILLIONS (Trillions, quadrillions,
etc) of stars just to give us a pretty sky to look at, again, is rather
arrogant.

I think you're well-intentioned - but on the mathematics game -- you're sorely
mis-informed.

I'll take your billions and even trillions of stars against my 10^50 any day.
You see, you're talking 10^12 vs 10^50 -it's soooo far off it's laughable.

hoho,
-Jon