 Off-Topic / Debate / 8774
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:49:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
James Brown wrote:

Hundreds of thousands of people have no knowledge of UFO's outside of
testimonials, but they believe in the existance of UFO's.

This is taken on Faith.  I believe in extra-terrestrial life.  Believing that we are
on the only life-bearing planet in the entire universe is pretty arrogant, I think.

Depends on how you want to phrase it: I find given the scale of the
universe, it seems mathematically likely that there is extra-terrestrial
life.  Evidence is suggesting that planets are fairly common.  The right mix
of time, elements, stablity, heat and light are required, but again, given
the scale, it seems earth-like conditions are likely to be reproduced on a
significant number of places.

Somebody has to be first.  Perhaps stars needed to cycle several times to
get the right mix of elements.  We could be that first.  Odds are against
it, but we could be all there is.

So yes, I feel extra-terrestrial life is of such a high probablity that I
believe it is out there (though it might not be).  But it is based on the
evidence at hand, not simple faith.

Hundreds of thousands of people have no knowledge of Brazil outside of
testimonials, but they believe in the existance of Brazil.

Ah, but this is NOT taken on Faith - this can be easily proved - simply buy a plane
ticket and watch the ground go by during the flight ;-)

Satellite pictures of the whole earth.  Tests verify that the satellite is
working accurately, and the pictures verify that which I am directly
familiar with and further verify the various claims it is there.  I haven't
been there, but the evidence that I have access to is consistent with Brazil
being there.  Experiments to find it can be reproduced with identical
results (sail on this compass heading, fly over here, look at these
coordinates, study the reflection patterns of these seismic waves, note the
infra-red readings from this instrument that we can verify is working
accurately, etc.).  I don't have to actually go to Brazil to be reasonably
certain that it exists.

Bruce