 Off-Topic / Debate / 8775
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:04:42 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
James Brown wrote:
Hundreds of thousands of people have no knowledge of Brazil outside of
testimonials, but they believe in the existance of Brazil.

Ah, but this is NOT taken on Faith - this can be easily proved - simply buy
a plane ticket and watch the ground go by during the flight ;-)

Satellite pictures of the whole earth.  Tests verify that the satellite is
working accurately, and the pictures verify that which I am directly
familiar with and further verify the various claims it is there.  I haven't
been there, but the evidence that I have access to is consistent with Brazil
being there.  Experiments to find it can be reproduced with identical
results (sail on this compass heading, fly over here, look at these
coordinates, study the reflection patterns of these seismic waves, note the
infra-red readings from this instrument that we can verify is working
accurately, etc.).  I don't have to actually go to Brazil to be reasonably
certain that it exists.

But have you, personally, conducted these various experiments to prove the
existance of Brazil, or are you accepting the testimonial evidence of those
that have?

If you have not actually verified for yourself that Brazil exists, you take
it on faith (or don't, I suppose...).  It doesn't matter how large or small
the body of evidence is, you are still CHOOSING to accept or not accept it.
Any and all evidence that you do not directly observe is testimonial in
nature.  The difference in accepting Brazil on faith and accepting God on
faith is a matter of degree, not of kind.  (which is, I think, where this
particular branch started)

James