 Off-Topic / Debate / 8773
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:41:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
James Brown wrote:
Hundreds of thousands of people have no knowledge of Brazil outside of
testimonials, but they believe in the existance of Brazil.

Ah, but this is NOT taken on Faith - this can be easily proved - simply buy a
plane ticket and watch the ground go by during the flight ;-)

No no, the point is that it IS taken on faith. Maybe not by YOU, but by
some. Let's say something more obscure (someplace you HAVEN'T visited, seen
pictures of, etc). I dunno, say Sri Lanka. Really you'd be best to suggest
such a place, but for sake of argument it'll do. Do you doubt Sri Lanka's
existence? Or do you take it on faith, because all the maps you've seen of
the world, India, etc, all show Sri Lanka, and they've proven to be right
about other things? Just because you CAN prove Sri Lanka's existence by
going there doesn't mean you *don't* take it on faith *before* proving it,
unless you're about to say that you don't believe ANYTHING you hear without
verifying it for yourself. If we all did that we'd waste WAY too much time,
although we'd probably be a heck of a lot less error prone :)

DaveE