 Off-Topic / Debate / 8769
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:47:17 GMT

James Brown wrote:

Exactly. Scientists have faith in THEIR senses. BUT, the odd thing is that
although we know it's a no-no, we still DO have faith in other people's
senses. Have you done ALL the research necessary for modern science, because
you didn't believe it when it was presented to you? No, but you take it on
faith, with the exception, however, that you are not as adamant about that
which you take on faith as that which you do not. If you were a
paleontologist (sp?) you'd be a lot more certain of evolution than you would
be of, say, nuclear fission. This is also based off of other things that
have been touched on in the other sub-thread as well, like society defining
the strengths of your particular faiths via confirmation...

But do you really experience life in this fashion?  Either doubting
everything that you haven't perceived personally, or equating the acceptance
of another's testimony with the kind of Faith necessary to believe in a
supreme being?

I think they're more-or-less the same.  It doesn't matter if you can verify
something through the scientific method if you don't actually verify it.
You are assuming that it is so - in other words, taking it on faith.

Hundreds of thousands of people have no knowledge of UFO's outside of
testimonials, but they believe in the existance of UFO's.

This is taken on Faith.  I believe in extra-terrestrial life.  Believing that we are
on the only life-bearing planet in the entire universe is pretty arrogant, I think.

Hundreds of thousands of people have no knowledge of Brazil outside of
testimonials, but they believe in the existance of Brazil.

Ah, but this is NOT taken on Faith - this can be easily proved - simply buy a plane
ticket and watch the ground go by during the flight ;-)

The flaw in your chain of reasoning is that, since there is
no way for me to verify your (or Bruce's, or Steve's) metaphysical
experiment--no way, in short, to reproduce it to the satisfaction of my own
senses--I would have to accept your testimony, if I choose to accept it, on
Faith alone.  If Bruce claims that he's come up with revolutionary way of
transmuting ice to water (to pose a hypothetical scientific "breakthrough"
into uncharted teritory), I don't have to accept it on faith alone, since I
can reproduce his hi-tech experiment given the proper tools.  This is true
whether the experiment is in quantum mechanics or auto mechanics. The event
itself doesn't preclude my understanding and reproduction of it. If it
cannot be reproduced, then science cannot accept it; there is no faith
involved whatsoever, especially, as Bruce pointed out, since one
individual's perceptions are not the sole proving/disproving factor in such
an experiment. A metaphysical experience such as you've elsewhere described
is an inherently personal and non-reproducible (by others) event, so I can
only accept it if:

That is an assumption.  It may merely be that you are lacking the tools to
reproduce it.  A blind person is unable to experience emperical evidence of
the visible spectrum of light.  You can't catagorically say "your experiment
is unreproducable"; the most you can say is "I can't reproduce your experiment."

I will grant, before it comes back to haunt me, that vast bodies of
consistent testimony are arguably more valid than individual varying
testimonial, making it less of a leap of faith to assume that Brazil exists,
but it is still an act of faith, and an assumption.

a) I have Faith that such a thing is possible
b) I have Faith in your testimony of your own experience

Why, out of curiosity, does Brazil pass this test, and God fail it?  At a
fundamental, and conceptual level, there is no difference, unless you go and
perform the experiment (visit Brazil) yourself.

You can visit Brazil (I have a co-worker living there right now, so I trust it
exists).  And I've seen plenty of pictures.

You can't visit God physically.  And I have YET to see a picture of him.