 Off-Topic / Debate / 8768
Re: Problems with Christianity and Darwinism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:26:23 GMT

The only answer it gives is that Steve doesn't WANT
to debate the matter further, or if he DOES, he wants to debate other issues
first. As to WHY, we can inferr, but the fact that he doesn't answer doesn't
invalidate creationism by any means.

It may mean he can't back up his claims.  That doesn't mean others might not
be able to, granted.

Exactly. It MAY mean he can't back up his claims. But he might also be able
to. Can't say one way or the other... As science would be so keen to point
out, lack of evidence does not prove a theory :)

If he runs on about evolution being bankrupt without addressing the other
points, I think we have an answer through a non-answer.  If he simply drops
the subject, we probably have an answer, but can't be sure of it.  Anyway, a
non-answer can be an answer.

Absolutely not.  Science is a process for observing and explaining the
universe.  The scientific process seems to be the most accurate way of doing
this - because of that I find value in it, not out of any blind faith.

Check out the other sub-thread on this-- Honestly I don't know if I've got
time to write out again what I've said there... I'd be interested in your
comments on the issue...

I read your various thoughtful and interesting comments, but I felt the
above mostly addressed them.  Tell me which message and I'll try for a more
detailed response.

Scientists do not have faith in your senses - that's why they test your
experiments: to see if they can duplicate your work.  Lack of faith is the
safest course, in fact.

Exactly. Scientists have faith in THEIR senses. BUT, the odd thing is that
although we know it's a no-no, we still DO have faith in other people's
senses.

No, they have faith in their own senses only so far as it goes, and know
that other scientists are going to question theirs.  Question your senses,
question your instruments, question your methods, question your data,
question your results.  I repeat: lack of faith is the safest course.

Have you done ALL the research necessary for modern science, because
you didn't believe it when it was presented to you? No, but you take it on
faith, with the exception, however, that you are not as adamant about that
which you take on faith as that which you do not.

Actually, no.  I don't take it on faith.  I didn't take "cold fusion" on
faith, for example.  I usually adopt a wait and see attitude to see what
research supports or doesn't support an issue.  I don't always agree with a
scientist's findings.

If you were a
paleontologist (sp?) you'd be a lot more certain of evolution than you would
be of, say, nuclear fission.

Being less certain doesn't mean you simply are accepting things on faith.

This is also based off of other things that
have been touched on in the other sub-thread as well, like society defining
the strengths of your particular faiths via confirmation...

But that's exactly the problem for creationists. Evolution DOESN'T address
God.

That's why it drives them nuts, though I don't think they realize that at a
conscious level.

Not all do-- many just refute the theory itself without knowing why they
have such a knee-jerk reaction to it. I don't presume that of Steve, however...

They feel threatened by it (and to skip qualifying everything over and over,
not everyone and not necessarily Steve)..

He didn't start out with a 'divine' faith-- moreover, he
DERIVED a divine faith FROM his faith in himself. And as a result, most
prominent Christians had a hissy fit over it. Basically, by NOT addressing
God, it violates creationist theory. Your mother may be an anthropologist
who believes in the theory of evolution, and at the same time is Christian,
but is she actually a CREATIONIST?

Who said she was a creationist?  You lost me on that one.  The point was
that  that you don't have to be a creationist to be a Christian.

Exactly! BUT, as Steve would argue (I think), if you're not a creationist,
you're not a "perfect" Christian.

Hubris.

In his own words, succumbing to the
evolutionary theory for a Christian is just a 'cop-out';

More hubris.  "You're only a Christian if you walk lock-step with me" - and
everyone is saying that and they all walk different.  John Cleese disciples?
:-)

assumedly because
it showed that your faith wasn't strong enough in God, or even in your own
self. But I don't know. I'll have to let Steve complete that one for me...

DaveE

I regard it as a lack of faith on the fundamentalists part, but then I walk
different, too, but I don't presume to deny their Christianity.

Bruce