 Off-Topic / Debate / 872
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 16 May 1999 16:26:40 GMT

Richard Dee <richard.dee@virgin.net> wrote:
But please demonstrate a *need* to own a gun, I still
don't understand why you would defend the *right* to a own a
gun without a reasonable *need*. Simply because a law says you can?
Is there no such thing as a silly law, or a ridiculous law?

Demonstrate a need to own anything other than plaid pants or frilly
pink shirts.  Demonstrate a need to own more than one pair of shoes.

It's none of your or anyone else's business why I own a gun, although
I think I hinted pretty loudly at my reason in my first post on this
silly topic.  Protection.

Who will protect me if some bad guy breaks into my home in the middle
of the night?  You?  The police?  No, I will.  And Rachael will.  You
can quote all the stats you can dig up about people having their guns
turned against them - I'd still rather take my chances with my own gun
than without.

As for the ridiculous concept that guns are bad because they kill too
easily, not providing the person with a chance to stop midway and
change his mind, it doesn't affect me.  I can't imagine a time when I
would draw my gun when facing anything other than potentially mortal
danger to myself or my own.

If someone breaks into my home with the intention of taking what is
mine or harming me or my family, he will more than likely be shot to
death, as he deserves.  If someone smashes my car on the road
(happened twice now) he won't even get a rise out of me - my insurance
company will take care of it.

Or is gun ownership a really important right for some people?
Why?

If you have to ask you will either never understand or you don't care.
I'd guess a little of both based on other things you've said.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide