 Off-Topic / Debate / 8640
8639  |  8641
Subject:
demographics - Re: My Gun Control Rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:34:44 GMT

This may help explain why areas with high civilian firearm ownership have
lower crime rates than areas where firearm ownership is less widespread.

Show me the demographics of legal gun ownership in the USA... I'm pretty
sure the same sort of people live in low crime areas in the UK too.

There is no need, I found them:
=+=
OWNERSHIP OF guns is extraordinarily widespread in the United States, and
has been for some time. Indeed, since the late 1950's, when surveys on this
question were first done, the share of American households reporting at
least one firearm has remained fairly constant at just under 50 percent.
Needless to say, this does not mean that there is a gun-owner behind every
second door in any American community. Guns are much more common in the
Rocky Mountain states, South, and Midwest; in every region of the country,
they are most likely to belong to middle-class, middle-aged men who live in
rural areas or small towns. A useful shorthand for all this demography is
that the average American gun-owner, both today and in the past, has tended
to be a hunter or target-shooter.
=+=

The above is taken from:
http://www.findarticles.com/m1061/2_110/65014590/p1/article.jhtml

In the UK at least, these are just the sort of people and areas which suffer
from crime the least. Just like all over the world, the big smoke is where
the crime is... particualrly the inner cities.

I do feel reassured however, as this link tells me gun ownership is on the wane:
http://www.usatoday.com/snapshot/news/nsnap165.htm

Scott A
(Who has no room under his bed for a gun)