 Off-Topic / Debate / 8129
Re: Polyamory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:49:23 GMT

Scott:
Lar:

You DO grasp the
difference between public and private, as used in the US, right? OK... more
slowly.

It's a public school board. If it were a private school they should be able
to enforce any behaviour standards they like on their employees, including
requiring that their teachers be gay or not be gay. But public bodies,
including public schools should not be able to discriminate in that way.

Usually, you tell me that they should be able to. Usually you say such
institutions will discover such actions are bad - and the market should
decide. I'll ask you again, do you think any school, public or private,
should be able to sack a member of staff for being gay?

You really are a bit dense sometimes, Scott... Quoting myself in the *very
paragraph* you're supposedly "responding" to..

If it were a private school they should be able
to enforce any behaviour standards they like on their employees, including
requiring that their teachers be gay or not be gay. But public bodies,
including public schools should not be able to discriminate in that way.

Is that so hard to understand?  In shorter sentences: Public (government
funded) no. Private yes.

Like I've said before. A thousand times.

Governments should not, *must* not, discriminate against behaviours that in
and of themselves don't directly violate rights. This *has* to be put in
their constitutions in a non revokable way, or they are flawed governments.

Private organizations would be well served not to discriminate, and the
market will punish them for unfounded discrimination, but they should be
allowed to make their own mistakes.

Sorry if that's too subtle a distinction for uncritical thinkers.

++Lar