 Off-Topic / Debate / 808
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 16:43:19 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

On Wed, 12 May 1999 22:55:23 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

... I'm for reasonable control measures as
long as they don't overly hinder my right as an adult citizen with
nothing more than a speeding ticket or five on his record.

I agree with this statement.  I think a 'gun license', similar to a
'driving license', is a reasonable and rational requirement for gun
ownership.  Anyone who wants to legally obtain a gun should be willing to
go through a period of training and orientation, along with tested
demonstration that they've mastered the material.

The only problem I see with a gun license is the creation of a list of
gun owners, which would make the job of the out of control government
cracking down on the population easier (recall that this is one of the
major reasons for the 2nd amendment).

An option I could see possibly working is having organizations certified
to issue gun licences, but not allow the government access to their
lists of licensees. They organizations would be required to periodically
verify that their licensees have not appeared on a list of convicted
felons and thus be inelligible for gun ownership. I still think this
would be an intrusion and not work well, and be subject to abuse.

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com