 Off-Topic / Debate / 806
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 15:34:45 GMT

On Wed, 12 May 1999 22:55:23 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

... I'm for reasonable control measures as
long as they don't overly hinder my right as an adult citizen with
nothing more than a speeding ticket or five on his record.

I agree with this statement.  I think a 'gun license', similar to a
'driving license', is a reasonable and rational requirement for gun
ownership.  Anyone who wants to legally obtain a gun should be willing to
go through a period of training and orientation, along with tested
demonstration that they've mastered the material.

Allowing quick access to deadly weapons is just fueling the rates of
'crimes of passion'.

Ok, so borrowing a page from your book up top, would you say the lives
of those who ARE saved, even if only a few, aren't worth making it
possible for law-abiding citizens to own guns?

Not compared to the number of people killed by guns.

Ah.  Ok, so guns are bad because they don't allow people with
murderous intent to rethink their course of action while in the
process of killing someone.  How clear it seems now.

No, they are bad because they provide people with the option of easily
doing violence (shooting someone), rather than difficult violence
(stabbing, strangling, bludgeoning, etc) or the even-more unthinkable
prospect of peacably working things out.  In the 'heat of the moment', some
people will go for the gun, if it's there.

Having said all that, I don't understand the psychology of being able to
murder someone.  Go ahead, call me a wimp, but I can't imagine killing
someone.  OK, I can imagine it, but I can't imagine actually doing it.

Steve