 Off-Topic / Debate / 833
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 15:59:42 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

On Wed, 12 May 1999 22:55:23 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

... I'm for reasonable control measures as
long as they don't overly hinder my right as an adult citizen with
nothing more than a speeding ticket or five on his record.

I agree with this statement.  I think a 'gun license', similar to a
'driving license', is a reasonable and rational requirement for gun
ownership.  Anyone who wants to legally obtain a gun should be willing to
go through a period of training and orientation, along with tested
demonstration that they've mastered the material.

Allowing quick access to deadly weapons is just fueling the rates of
'crimes of passion'.

That's what they say on the news...I guess it must be true.  Why can't
they make the numbers reflect that then?  Verrrry interestingk.

How would this training prevent crimes of passion?

Ok, so borrowing a page from your book up top, would you say the lives
of those who ARE saved, even if only a few, aren't worth making it
possible for law-abiding citizens to own guns?

Not compared to the number of people killed by guns.

Really?  So saving ten and losing one isn't a good deal.  Verry odd math.

Having said all that, I don't understand the psychology of being able to
murder someone.  Go ahead, call me a wimp, but I can't imagine killing
someone.  OK, I can imagine it, but I can't imagine actually doing it.

Good.  That's the way you're supposed to be.  It should be traumatic to
kill someone even in self defense.  I am easily willing on a
philosophical level to defend myself with leathal force, but I assume it
will be a traumatic event.

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks