 Off-Topic / Debate / 809
Re: New Web Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 18:21:09 GMT

On Wed, 12 May 1999 22:20:20 GMT, James Brown uttered the following
profundities...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Dee writes:
<snipped several pointed questions about gun control>
I cannot explain coherently or eloquently the next point. *I*
know what I am trying to say, I just cannot quite explain it!

One last thing, pertaining to the notion of people kill people,
though I cannot quote a source, it has been proven, from a
psychological standpoint, that guns *do* kill. If faced with a
situation where violence might be used, the weaponry available
to the individual will dramatically alter the life expectancy
of the person on the receiving end. Reactions to different
forms of attack, and the ability to counter different forms
of attack will increase the survivability of that attack. A gun
doesn't so easily enable an individual to have second thoughts
about an action. One has a higher probability of dying from
a gunshot than being stabbed. One might need to stab more than
once, or should one strangle.....I give up. I cannot explain
it! A goodly proportion of murder is "crime of passion." The
methods available to act upon a shock that leads to it, alter
the survivability chances of the victim.

How about:  People react to a dangerous situation depending on a number of
factors, one of which is their knowledge of their capabilities.  If a person
is aware they have a gun, they are more likely to use it, because their
subconscious mind will add it to the list of viable options in a crisis.

Or: When a person is acting out of surprise or shock-reaction, they are not in
a position to consider the potential outcomes of a situtation calmly.  They
are primarily concerned with resolution, and will use whatever means are
available to provide that resolution.  The "fatality" of any given solution is
unlikely to be a factor in crisis-thinking, and the presence of such solutions
will increase the likelyhood of a fatality.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

Thank you. That was along the lines of what I had hoped to
convey.
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net remove nospam.(lugnet excepted)
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
ICQ 13177071                  AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/