 Off-Topic / Debate / 7905
Re: Religion and Science
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:18:10 GMT

And yet, Bruce, if I said to you "there is a God who exists as revealed by • Jesus of
Nazareth", what would be your first response?  Maybe you'd say, "that's nice • for
you, now run along and play" (oops, that's what *Lar* would say).  But what if • I
pressed and said,"No really, it's true!"  Your next thought would be that you • would
want *proof*.  Is that inconsistent to expect?  Or maybe you'd want evidence. •  What
amount of evidence would convince you?  Hypothetically speaking, what *would* • it
take to convince you as a skeptic?

You weren't asking me, but this is a great question.

I think direct observation of a miraculous occurance that I couldn't explain in
any other way more easily would cause me to seriously consider a divine
explanation.  If I routinely conversed with spirits, I would probably reject
the notion that I was insane and accept some supernatural explanation (though
depending on my delusions, it may well not be Christian in nature).

I'm not sure what it would take.  A plausible body of inexplicable evidence of
soem kind.

Chris