 Off-Topic / Debate / 7907
Re: Religion and Science
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 15:12:15 GMT

And yet, Bruce, if I said to you "there is a God who exists as revealed by • Jesus of
Nazareth", what would be your first response?  Maybe you'd say, "that's nice • for
you, now run along and play" (oops, that's what *Lar* would say).  But what if • I
pressed and said,"No really, it's true!"  Your next thought would be that you • would
want *proof*.  Is that inconsistent to expect?  Or maybe you'd want evidence. • What
amount of evidence would convince you?  Hypothetically speaking, what *would* • it
take to convince you as a skeptic?

You weren't asking me, but this is a great question.

I think direct observation of a miraculous occurance that I couldn't explain in
any other way more easily would cause me to seriously consider a divine
explanation.  If I routinely conversed with spirits, I would probably reject
the notion that I was insane and accept some supernatural explanation (though
depending on my delusions, it may well not be Christian in nature).

I'm not sure what it would take.  A plausible body of inexplicable evidence of
soem kind.

   I suppose the turnabout is fair, so I'll ask it:

   What evidence, if witnessed by or expressed to you (the 'you' being
   a believing Christian), would lead you to conclude that Christianity
   is incorrect, and that there is in fact no God (or at least not the
   God of Abraham as relayed in Scripture)?  That's a much harder
   question, one that's even more difficult than the one John asked
   you, because while we might believe in the face of a miracle and
   admit that we might be persuaded to do so, I have yet to meet any-
   one who can honestly and comfortably answer the opposing query.
   That doesn't speak badly of them, but it does stand as testament
   to the power of faith and the (un/)provability of its veracity.
   However anyone that expects to debate the question must be able
   to consider both hypotheticals.

   best

   Lindsay