 Off-Topic / Debate / 7770
Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 22:57:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:

Ah, but it wasn't a "rant" was it?

I'll let it speak for itself, but I find coherency helpful.

You're just upset that I beat you at your own game.

That implies that I'm a sore loser. On the contrary, I relish losing a hard
fought battle against a skilled opponent. Why, just today at lunch, my
officemates managed to defeat me and my partner at foosball 3 times (1). I
enjoy losing those good, fair battles because I learn from my mistakes.

So if I were a sore loser, and if you'd beat me, I'd be upset, yes. But our
battle wasn't hard fought, you're not a skilled opponent, and I didn't lose.
Any other questions? :-)

Quit while you're ahead.

And when I say "ahead", I don't refer to standings in a personal game
between you and I, as you inferred, I refer to your standing as a debater in
the eyes of the rest of the group. This is a no win debate and there is a
part of me willing to happily score points on you all day long if you
insist, while not "winning" and not "losing" in the larger sense, because
the larger debate isn't winnable. By either side.

But it's a waste of time, point scoring is one thing, changing the minds of
people who have made them up, have thought long and hard about it already,
and who are pretty darned intelligent (2) to boot... that's not going to
happen in this debate. All we will do is further distort the posting
statistics as people who usually post about fun LEGO stuff get sucked in.

Quit while you're ahead.

That goes for all of us. I find it very hard not to scratch this itch, and I
bet a lot of the rest of us do, but let's at least not go exponential
growth, hmm?

1 - out of 10 games played, it was an off day for me, but I digress...

2 - "people" in this sentence includes me, you, and just about every reader
of LUGNet with the exception of one or two I shan't name, on both sides of
the issue and also those firmly in the middle. You have to be pretty darned
intelligent to like LEGO in the first place.

++Lar