 Off-Topic / Debate / 7718
Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 17:14:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
John Neal wrote:

Christians do good with joy in *response* to God's love.

Yet your god sends people to Hell.  "I love you, but go suffer for an
eternity".  No thanks.

Seems to me, Tom, that your struggling here...

If God didn't allow us to suffer, He would be a controlling entity - and we
mere automatons.  We do have choise - that is required by true love.

   *The Unitarian perks up*

   Now, if God is the alpha and omega, knows all past, present,
   and future, is there really any Free Will beyond simple human
   Brownian motion?  That's the Calvinist model, that we don't
   really have Free Will, but that our choices are indicative of
   the status we have as Elect.  The stock answer is that 'no
   man can know the mind of God,' which is fair enough, but
   that doesn't stop people--especially the Faithful!--from
   trying.  (For example, the old question:  Why have this little
   'experiment' of Humanity at all? [aka the Ant Farm Question])

   A related question:

   Do you believe it's possible to do real good in response to
   something *other* than 'God's Love?' (I ask this from the
   standpoint of a religion that's intensely humanistic, and
   places at its centre the need to do good for others.)  Our
   understanding of "God" is something that's part of us, and
   we of it--yet both paradise and damnation are too simple of
   concepts for something as complex as the human spirit.

   best

   LFB