 Off-Topic / Debate / 7719
Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 17:16:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  I can see where he's going with it.  It's an old chestnut,
  basically that only the brave and committed--those above
  'so tall' (or is it a statement on predestination--only
  those predisposed to being this tall?  Bill, have you gone
  Old Calvinist on us?)--can get into Heaven.  Or maybe it's
  just a declaration of victory, a springing of the trap in
  anticipation, in the hopes that the 'besprung' will concede?
  Al Gore, are you listening?  :)

No - I'm not a Calvinist, not Arminian either. I don't accept all of either
of their writings. Calvin claimed to be infallable! Couldn't take him
seriously after that. Arminius I liked a little more, but don't agree with
most of what he says - he just says it better.

  It's still an analogy with no substance, because if you
  disallow the basic premise it collapses like a house of
  cards, and becomes nothing more than a maze of semantics.
  Whether or not he's right, this isn't how it's proven--
  for other examples, that in fact he's employed before,
  look up 'Pascal's Wager' (for starters).  I encountered
  a lot of the theological trap-laying and reorganisation of
  knowlege hierarchies back in college, when engaged in the
  venerable Evolution vs. Creation debates--and as soon as
  it became clear that I had a map of their minefield, nobody
  was willing to debate me.  Strange, that.

You falter in thinking that I was trying to make a theological point, I
wasn't. None of this is about theology, theology is the vehicle. I'm not
that complex (all that wager and hierarchy mumbo jumbo), sometimes it's
possible to be too smart by half.

This is far more specific.

But now I REALLY must be off, I'm late!

Bill