 Off-Topic / Debate / 7706
Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:45:25 GMT

Jon Kozan wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Selçuk Göre writes:

I got the impression that the faith concept is a rather different in
Christianity. I mean, as I know of from the Islam, faith means god knows
everything, including our future, so he already knows how I will act in
future cases. The same Islam also says that, just like other religions,
you are responsible from your acts, because you choose it by using your
free will. This produces a quick question: If he already know how we
act, if there is no escape from faith, then it is already known by him
where we will go at the end (heaven or hell) so how can we are acting
with out own free will? To be more clear how can these both things can
be accurate at the same time, side by side? This is the one of the
biggest flaws in Islam to me.

Since you already said that in Christianity, people assumed to act with
their own free will so they will face the consequences of their own acts
at the end, too. So what about the knowledge level of Christian God
about our future? He know it from the beginning or not? If he knows it
just as Islam God (how many gods are there by the way..:-), is there any
explanation for the above paradox in Christianity? Believe it or not,
I'm just asking for the sake of knowledge.

A popularly debated question in Christianity.
Succinctly -
1) God knows everything - both past, present and future.
2) God exists apart from time and is not subject to it, ntering it as He wills.
3) God's knowledge doesn't equal control. Just as I may know something
happened, doesn't mean I made it happen.
4) Foreknowledge - knowing something before it happens - doesn't mean you made
it happen. (a example on a much smaller scale - just because I know the sun wil
shine later today doesn' mena I make it shine)

-Jon

Uhm... Nothing different then, just same as the Islamic approach. Point
2 does not mean anything (what on earth does "apart from time and is not
subject to it, entering it as he wills" mean to us poor human beings?),
but for the other points, if a path is drawn for me by whoever, (if it
is known, it is already drawn, I can't see any alternative to it) I have
no options. Same singularity I think. If it is drawn, independent from
having control on it or not, I have still no choice, whether I have
acting knowingly or not does not matter.

Again I have a problem with this "knowledge doesn't mean control"
statement over there. Islam also suggests that everything is came from
god, everything evolves under his control.

Selçuk