 Off-Topic / Debate / 7707
Re: New LEGO factory inaugurated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 16:45:28 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.lego, Mark de Kock writes:
In lugnet.lego, Adrian Drake writes:
So they are closing US operations while opening a new factory in the Czech
Republic?  I guess labor's cheaper there.

Adrian
--
www.brickfrenzy.com

Or they work harder over there ?

Now thats a low blow... I don't particularly appretiate it either.

   Perhaps it's meant as an ironic comment.  As an American living
   in the Netherlands, I can tell you that they don't work
   any harder here than they do at home. [1]  (If anything, 5:00pm
   is even *more* sacrosanct here--the traffic pulse is stunning!)
   There is a 'myth of the lazy American' that seems to be wide-
   spread in much of Europe.  Considering the image of ourselves
   that we market to the rest of the world, I can see how it got
   started.  The fact that most Americans encountered by Europeans
   in Europe are on *holiday* probably doesn't help.

   But in a way, it's not necessarily a cut on Americans--after
   all, they didn't put the factory in Britain, France, or the
   Netherlands, did they?  I have a feeling it has to do with
   the startup costs, the labour costs, *and* the labour *laws*...
   something we might not like to think about (the possibility
   of LEGO exploiting labour).  But it is notable that they didn't
   try to go well outside the EU.

   best

   LFB

   [1] On the average.  Individual cases will vary.