 Off-Topic / Debate / 7689
Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 14:52:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

But YOUR god (assuming he exists) sets the rules, so even if a person goes to
hell for their perceived sins, they go there because God made them, through
the rules.  God, if he truly loved his children, would allow ALL into heaven,
regardless of sins.

  One could argue that God truly loves His children and so gives them the
choice to accept or reject His love.  In a way, that's a more mature and
respectful love than simply saying "I love you so you're in, whether you
love me or not."  Moreover, He's not saying "obey Me and you're in the
club;" He's saying "embrace Me and I will return your embrace, reject Me and
I will allow you to reject Me."

But that wouldn't have let the governments/churches hang doom over people's
heads to get them to behave, so we can't have something like that.

  Whether you believe in God or not, it is inappropriate to dismiss His
existence (or validate it, for that matter) solely on the good or bad
actions of His purported followers, just as it is inappropriate to dismiss
genetic theory simply because it has been used to justify eugenics.

     Dave!