 Off-Topic / Debate / 7688
Re: The god debate again... sigh (Re: Will Libertopia cause the needy to get less?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 14:51:58 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bill Farkas writes:

You're right, religion in a generic sense will not necessarily bring out the
best in people. I agree that it quite often brings out the worst. I am a
bigger critic than anyone on the problems in Christendom, I could go on for
hours about the problem and what I believe it's causes to be.

But I *do* think it makes a big difference whether or not these kind of
people can be said to be "true believers".

  You're completely correct, and it seems to me that such people often pick
and choose which elements of The Bible the wish to practice, ignoring those
passages they find inconvenient to their cause.

They affect the perception of the public on those who are sincere.

  And that's the big problem--that the fringe members of a belief system are
mistakenly held to be representative of the entire belief system (whether
that system be religion, Libertarianism, or Democratism (is that a word?))
  It must be stated plainly and for the record that the shortcomings of some
individuals do not invalidate the belief system as a whole.

So, so.. But I'm not talking about invalidating any "belief", I'm just
talking about invalidating a "belief system" as a "system to bring high
moral grounds for society". If any system can open to be abused and can
be used by a person/group of people as a tool to get support of the
masses while acting against the good will of same people, it can not be
advertised as the "system to save us, folks". As a matter of fact, most
easy to use ideologies to brain wash society to cover nasty things to be
done, are  "belief systems", religions that is, since they are prone to
be accepted as it is by great many of the people who made the society,
without any discussion. We saw many many examples of that from the whole
history from beginning to today.

Look, it's the same thing as saying that all Muslims are terrorists. Sincere
Muslims are very offended by that sentiment, and should be!

Yes indeed it would be a very big mistake to say something like that,
just as saying "all the Christians are bad", or something like that. And
I really see it tremendously irrelevant to this  discussion, especially
to my points, since I never said or mean sideways anything like that.
I'm taking it as an unfortunate example, and in case there is still
unclear things about my messages:

I'm calling any belief system (Christianity, Islam, etc., you call it)
not the system that made us saved. They are just utopias, not any less
than communism or any other social/economical(/etc. systems with obvious
flaws that can be exploited by nasty ones. Not I'm calling all the
muslims/crists/etc. are terrorist/bad/etc. I strongly suggest you, Mr.
Farkas, re read my messages.

Not that I'm not seeing the believers a little bit twisted, but it is
completely out subject at that time..:-)

Selçuk