 Off-Topic / Debate / 758
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 18:43:14 GMT

Ed Jones wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jesse R. Long writes:

I tend to think that the PC definition of homophobe is anyone who
doesn't totally accept and whole-heartedly embrace homosexuality as a
valid lifestyle.  If you don't like homosexuality, you're
automatically a homophobe.  It's thrown around quite liberally by the
liberals in the U.S.

Jesse

I would disagree with your "PC definition".  The terms homophobic, homophobia
and homophobe are used to describe those who have (as your quoted definition
stated) an irrational fear....  that is, they feel threatened by the presence
or even existance of homosexuals.  The key word is irrational.

Well, I think he disagrees with it too.  Unless you mean that that's not
the PC definition, and then I'd disagree with you.

I am a little uncomfortable with public displays of affection - I think
it's crass, ill mannered, and impolite.  I once expressed the truthful
opinion that I am a little more uncomfortable with homosexual (male)
PDAs, and was verbally attacked and branded a homophobe by the
(straight) people I was with.  I think these people were using Jesse's
PC definition instead of your reasonable one and serves as an example
application of the PC definition.

(Also, I think this tidbit of my psychology is interesting, as I
consider myself decidedly non-homophopic, and even homofriendly.)

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA