 Off-Topic / Debate / 7339
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:00:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:

All that said, I think it's creepy as hell that she thinks murder shouldn't
be legislated against!  I mean, I guess I sort of think that too, but only
for my flavor of utopia.  Not for a society at all close to this one.

But Chris, I DO think murder should be legislated against!

Previously, you wrote:

How do you feel about being told that whether or not to murder is a
personal decision that shouldn't be governed by law?

I would be upset that others were committing what I perceived to be murder.
Would I want to impose my beliefs on others...? Truthfully, I don't know.
On the whole I'm a laissez-faire kind of person, so I hope not.

I took that to mean that you thought that laissez-faire stance was to allow
murder.  And that you hoped that while murder might make you uncomfortable,
you would allow it to remain a personal decision for everyone.

I'm not sure where I got confused.

The statement you quoted from before had to do with IF I were pro-life and
thought that any abortion was murder.  In that case, I might vote for people
who would put the likes of Thomas and Scalia (sp?) on the Supreme Court in the
hope that what I perceive to be murder would be legislated against.

But the fact is that I am the type of person who, in general, feels that moral
choices should be personal decisions, hence, the laissez-faire statement.  And
we are not agreed that abortion is murder. So the issue is not as clear-cut as
a case in which an adult, for instance, intentionally kills another adult.  We
both agree that is murder.  As for early abortion, we evidently disagree as to
whether that is murder.  So I would have to concede that there are reasons why
both sides might believe the way they do.  Therefore, I would probably be less
likely to try to impose my values on another in this case.

Maggie