 Off-Topic / Debate / 7340
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 03:49:57 GMT

Note below that in my questions, I'm not arguing, I'm asking for >clarification.

No prob. Thanks for making that clear!

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:

Why should abortions be reduced?

Because at a certain point, abortion IS murder.

So what?  Do you think that pre-murder abortions should be reduced too?  Why?

See below...

The rpoblem is, when exactly is that point; no one can say.

Why can no one say?  That point must be based on something.  If it's based on
something, then there must be a test for it.  Once we've tested for it we'll
know the age.  Right?

Not really. Whatever you decide that point might be (sentential tissue
issues were brought up here IIRC?, and the fetus being viable (i.e. can
survive outside the womb), etc) it would vary from case to case, wouldn't
it? How could you know ahead of time if the fetus would survive? Is that
with or without modern techniques like incubators etc? And so forth, to no end.

The
best solution is to try and avoid *needing* abortions in the first place.

Agreed.  OTOH, it would be nice to get some kind of social resolution on this
issue.

Well, <grin> it's always nice to get a good-hard answer... but sometimes
there just *isn't* one.

If it was bad timing but with someone I love, and if I considered myself
capable, *much* better odds of having it.

Why does loving the father matter?

Because if I thought I could raise a family with him, I might go ahead and
do so. If for example I was married but didn't want a baby yet, and happened
to get preganant, I wouldn't even consider an abortion. If I somehow (not by
rape, but say carelessness) got pregnant with someone I didn't think I could
raise a family with (1) it would be tougher not to have one.

If I was raped by a total stranger
tomorrow (at the age I'm of - 16.5), it would be much tougher to refuse an
abortion.

Refuse?  That seems like odd wording.  Would there be parental pressure to
abort?

Well, I recall hearing something about hospitals and shelters offering rape
victims abortions on the spot - CMIIW. Knowing my parents I would guess they
would support me having an abortion in *that* case (rape). I don't know
about other cases.

-Shiri

(1) I doubt that would happen to me personally, because I wouldn't have
careless sex, and surely not with someone I didn't love. But let's just say
for the sake of argument that I did.