 Off-Topic / Debate / 7304
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:25:39 GMT

Yeah, I'm sure they do, Chris.  But when they get out, they get amnesia or
something, because many if not most go back to a life of crime.  You explain
it.

They don't know how.  Prison _could_ (but does not) teach them how to do it
right.

Yeah, and many more have been "rehabilitated" and enter society, only to • pick
up their life of crime where they left off.

Absolutely.  That is a HUGE problem.

Seems to me that is THE problem.  Think of how dramatically the crime rate • would
drop if these folks weren't released in the first place!

Or if they were released with the skills to make it on the outside.  And that
way we don't have blood on our hands.

Criminals usually leave prison with more
nefarious skills than when they entered.  Bad, bad, bad.  Shame on us for
allowing that.  If the prisons tried to build better people, that would not • be
the case.

Maybe this is our point of disagreement.  Why should it be the responsibility • of a
society to rehabilitate incarcerated criminals?

Well.  It seems like the only choices are kill them or help them.  Which
society do you want to live in?

It is not the function of prison to rehabilitate; but to incarcerate.

Therein lies the paradigmatic flaw in our CJ system.  And you (and most • people)
buy into this line, which is the cause of the problem.  It's a shame.

No no no no no.  The cause of the problem is that too many bleeding heart
liberals think they can "rehabilitate" hardened criminals, and end up
sending sociopaths back into society where they strike again and again
until (that is, if ever) caught.

They should be rehabilitated on their first time in.  Not after they could
reasonably be hardened criminals.

First let's work on getting some real justice in our penal system.  Maybe
then we can talk about rehabilitation.

First let's get some real compassion into our justice system.  Maybe then we
won't need much of a penal system.

Chris