 Off-Topic / Debate / 7305
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:54:37 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

If, as a
responsible adult, one chooses to use drugs, who then is to blame?

No one.  If they are responsible adults, there is no blame to assign.  They • are
using whatever drugs as they wish.

I was hoping for the "no one to blame but themselves" response.  "no one" • makes it
sound like it isn't the individual's responsibility.

From this note and the couple of replies, it sounds like you think that "blame"
is somehow synonymous with "responsibility."  It isn't.  Blame include fault.
Fault for doing something wrong.

Well lessee.  From Dictionary.com:

blame
v. tr. blamed, blam·ing, blames.

           1.To hold responsible.
           2.To find fault with; censure.
           3.To place responsibility for (something): blamed the crisis on poor
planning.

n.

           1.The state of being responsible for a fault or an error; culpability.
           2.Censure; condemnation.

Idioms:
to blame

           1.Deserving censure; at fault.
           2.Being the cause or source of something: A freak storm was to blame
for the power outage.

You claim that JohnD's note is an argument of semantics, but I don't think so.

From the above definition, I think it's a toss-up.

-John

I think that you and Steve, at the head of the drug part of this thread, were
distinctly implying that drug use is somehow inherently bad.  It isn't.
SOmetimes people let it get away from them, and they do bad things.  But there
is no fault or blame to assign when someone responsibly uses recreational
drugs.

I feel no guilt for my use of alcohol.  None.  I don't use any other
recreational drugs, but not because it's wrong, just because it doesn't appeal
to me.

Chris