 Off-Topic / Debate / 7298
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 02:28:05 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

<snip>

All I am
saying is that simple incarceration isn't enough, and simple incarceration
with all of the amenities (our current system) is an affront to my
sensibilities.

Fine.  Mine too.  Incarceration where the base is a five by five cell and one
meal of gruel and vitamins each day, with dim light and only educational TV,
but lots of other possibilites that they could "buy" by working hard to be
good, which is what I favor, is not the current system.  And that's what I was
talking about when you asked for my opinion.

Yeah, so what the hell are we arguing about? :-)

Criminals are lazy, and for the most part, uneducated.

They respond to the same stimulae that we all do.

They don't care about being rehabilitated.  They don't care much about
anything but themselves at all.

I see.  Which ones?  What are their names?  Why do you think that?  You think
that they wouldn't rather be anywhere else, if only they knew how?  That's
crap.

Yeah, I'm sure they do, Chris.  But when they get out, they get amnesia or
something, because many if not most go back to a life of crime.  You explain it.

Yeah, and many more have been "rehabilitated" and enter society, only to pick
up their life of crime where they left off.

Absolutely.  That is a HUGE problem.

Seems to me that is THE problem.  Think of how dramatically the crime rate would
drop if these folks weren't released in the first place!

Criminals usually leave prison with more
nefarious skills than when they entered.  Bad, bad, bad.  Shame on us for
allowing that.  If the prisons tried to build better people, that would not be
the case.

Maybe this is our point of disagreement.  Why should it be the responsibility of a
society to rehabilitate incarcerated criminals?

The percentage of crime committed in
this country by repeat offenders is unbelievably high (although I haven't the
figure, I believe it is above 80% IIRC.  Someone please correct me if I am
wrong).

I believe that you are within 10%.

Many more would if that was what the prison system
was striving for.

It is not the function of prison to rehabilitate; but to incarcerate.

Therein lies the paradigmatic flaw in our CJ system.  And you (and most people)
buy into this line, which is the cause of the problem.  It's a shame.

No no no no no.  The cause of the problem is that too many bleeding heart liberals
think they can "rehabilitate" hardened criminals, and end up sending sociopaths
back into society where they strike again and again until (that is, if ever)
caught.

If we eliminated drug user laws (except those which pertained to driving under the
influence) and kept hardened criminals locked up, then we would have a huge
reduction in crime in this country.

First let's work on getting some real justice in our penal system.  Maybe then we
can talk about rehabilitation.

-John

Chris