 Off-Topic / Debate / 7292
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:24:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim Courtney writes:
"James Simpson" <jsimpson@rice.edu> wrote in message

IMO, an explicit discussion of sexual practices, be they hetero or • homosexual
might not be in order, considering that Lugnet is a "family forum" and

Gad!!!  I hadn't thought of that....Whew....I just read the Terms of Use
Agreement, and I think I'm on safe ground even if it's a bit risque.  I'll go
ahead and let it drop for the sake of the kiddies who are made uncomfortable.

kids might stumble in here.

But I want it stated that I see nothing wrong with kids reading this stuff.
When my son is old enough to be interested in such subjects, he is welcome to
the knowledge.

Granted, we might not want young minds to have to
tackle the abortion debate,

Well, too young, and they won't get it.  Older than that, and I can't imagine
how in today's US society, you could avoid the topic.

While I think there is some more room for leeway in the debate group, it is
very possible for kids to stumble across this and it may not be appropriate
for LUGNET.

Kids are strong and smart.  It won't harm them.

I would say that the fact that a clinical discussion of the topic makes people
uncomfortable suggests that kids might ought to be exposed to it more.  (But as
they say, that is another debate.)

Chris