 Off-Topic / Debate / 7148
Re: Abortion, consistent with the LP stance? (Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:30:50 GMT

The removal of a non-sentient tissue structure from the body of a woman
who doesn't want it inside her is not murder.

Nice term "non-sentient tissue structure".

  Not to mention accurate.

Merely because the fetus has yet to develop sentiency doesn't mean that it
won't-- aborting it robs it of its right to do so.

  So non-sentient tissue has rights, too?  Do these rights supercede the
rights of the sentient mother?  Why? On what grounds?

I think timing is irrelevant.

  Timing is the essence of the matter.

I think that's why IUDs were such a bad idea-- birth control needs to prevent
conception from occurring, not dealing with it after the fact.  Once an egg
has been fertilized, it is a genetically potential human being whose rights
must be protected under law by the State.

  Nonsense.  You are stating outright that a fetus in the womb of a woman in
prison is being wrongly incarcerated.  Likewise, a pregnant woman would not
be able to attend a showing of an NC-17 film, since the fetus is too young
to be admitted.

     Dave!