 Off-Topic / Debate / 6533
Re: LUGNET Memberships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 01:52:33 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jennifer L. Boger writes:
A combination of things...  first, by then there will be more things in
place that will matter more; second, the pw validator will very likely be
less stringent; third, I predict that within the next nine months, a major
online banking site such as PayPal will have a major fiasco in the news with
tens or hundreds of thousands of user accounts having been either cracked
via a distributed stealth parallel cracking system or DoS'd through a
distributed and carefully orchestrated DoS attack based on the principle • that
they lock someone of their account out if a small number of multiple login
attempts fail rather than having more stringent pw requirements and allowing
a larger number of fails.

ahh.... at least they have that one little thing that means so much to
me... FDIC insured. :)

Is this debate flamebait? Or sarcasm

The FDIC needs to do risk based underwriting instead of charging all banks the
same rates. Online banks with lax security should have to pay higher premiums.

FUT .debate if you must (seems blazingly obvious to this libertarian that if
we MUST have an FDIC it should at least try to mimic market forces)

++Lar