 Off-Topic / Debate / 6537
Re: LUGNET Memberships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 17:04:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  I'm not surprised you take that tack, and I agree although from
  a different POV.  Does anyone remember FSLIC?  When the Savings and
  Loan mess broke, the insuring agency (FSLIC) was merged with FDIC
  to keep the insurance afloat somehow--IIRC, the total in the insurance
  fund, when combined, was $0.13 per $10,000 of deposits.  Thirteen
  cents!  The next thing the bankers wanted to do was to force a merger
  with NCUA (the insurance fund for Credit Unions), which was in very,
  very, very good shape because credit unions are by definition rather
  conservative--you don't get the huge returns, but neither do you
  get the massive failures.

  The resulting campaign centered on whether commercial for-profit
  banks had the right to benefit from non-profit credit unions' fiscal
  responsibility.
  Of course, I said no, and wrote many many many letters to this effect--
  but the end rationale is somewhat similar to Larry's reasoning:  If
  you're engaging in risky behaviour, expect to be charged more for
  insurance.  Fortunately, the merger never took place, but that hasn't
  stopped the banking industry from continuing its efforts to destroy
  credit unions through government legislation.

  Ahem, rant off.  :)

You're absolutely spot on. I thought what the banks lobbied to do to the NCUA
was the highest degree of larceny and was relieved when it failed. Believe it
or not most of my day to day non investment money is in Credit Unions, I am a
big fan of them.

LFB.nl

{Lar + 9 days) == .uk :-)