 Off-Topic / Debate / 6125
Re: Why is cockfighting bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 20:35:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Most everyone I know want to see the cool weapons, the cool
starfighters, the cool battles, and the cool bad guys.  How is this not
entertainment based upon the suffering of others?
Certainly a part of the entertainment value can be described as being based
on the suffering of some, but you're aware that Star Wars is fiction, right?

What the--?!  No one told me that before!  Do you have proof?  I demand
proof!  ;-)

There's an absolute difference between the cruelty of real-world cockfighting
and a fictional depiction of a lightsaber fight.  Any healthy, well-adjusted
individual can distinguish between onscreen representations of violence and
real-world cruelty; to equate one with the other is inaccurate and, arguably,
naive.

Well, I concede that cockfighting as a real-life event is much worse than Star
Wars as a fictional story.  However, the original debate was comparing Pokemon
(as viewed as a cockfighting analogue) and Star Wars (as a...what? a
historical reenactment?), with their relative levels of violence, etc.  BTW,
did you know that both Pokemon and Star Wars are fictional?  (Sorry, couldn't
resist.  :-)

FWIW, I don't have an issue with the lightsabre duels on Star Wars.  I don't
really have much of an issue with any of the violence in Star Wars, except that
the battle scenes seemed way too simplistic, happy-go-lucky, and with not
nearly enough screaming and gore.

obofftopicposit:  If violence is shown with more negative results, then it
would serve a more useful function (as a deterrent) within entertainment,
rather than just be glorified eye candy.

Cheers,
- jsproat