 Off-Topic / Debate / 6122
Re: Why is cockfighting bad?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 20:00:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:

While StarWars contained the depiction of a certain amount of suffering, it
was not the main point of the movie, and it was largely an obsticle set in
place to be overcome by the characters.

I beg to differ here.  How many people go to see Star Wars for the *snicker*
storyline?

  It depends what you're looking for in a storyline.  Certainly some of the
story is vapid, but as a redemption myth (both Han's and Vader's), the
original trilogy overall has real worth.  That's why, in itself, TPM is weaker
than the original three; with the addition of EPs 2 and 3, TPM may be seen as
a part of a stronger story, but until then...

Most everyone I know want to see the cool weapons, the cool
starfighters, the cool battles, and the cool bad guys.  How is this not
entertainment based upon the suffering of others?

  Certainly a part of the entertainment value can be described as being based
on the suffering of some, but you're aware that Star Wars is fiction, right?
There's an absolute difference between the cruelty of real-world cockfighting
and a fictional depiction of a lightsaber fight.  Any healthy, well-adjusted
individual can distinguish between onscreen representations of violence and
real-world cruelty; to equate one with the other is inaccurate and, arguably,
naive.

     Dave!