 Off-Topic / Debate / 6077
Re: Hello
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:04:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Shiri Dori writes:
I don't think you can deny that when a class full of students
snickers at someone's looks, behavior or something else, it is likely to
affect the person who's being snickered at.

True, true, that is true, but though this and the supposed peer pressure are
very similar, I would not quite call this peer pressure. This is just people
being mean and someone adapting so they don't have to put up with it.

Or maybe you're just lucky enough not having to go through with that. I have,
mostly not about lego, and believe me - there IS peer pressure. It doesn't
matter what you say. Comments that people threw at me as I was passing in the
hallways still sting when I hear them ringing in my ears, and believe me, I
have changed a LOT due to such comments.

See above. Though I'll side with you here (not about the pressure thing,
though). If you really want people to stop with that, you have to try and make
them stop. The way I did it was to change my attitude towards it. I just
brushed it off and even joked back at myself. Within a year people stopped
calling me things. One otehr way is to do something that people will look up
to you for. I found my niche in sports. Yours may be in art or music, but if
you find a group of people who think you *are* worth something, then it makes
everything seem all the better. I'm straying away from the issue now, but I
did read your Age Limitations post, and I can say that I have been where you
said you were.

Peer pressure isn't just about the "big" issues. Your every reaction in class,
or in society in general, is affected by what other people will say or think.

Yes, that is because we live in a world where people have minds, and if you
didn't react to what anybody said, you'd most likely end up getting lynched.
You have to agree with something or else you're screwed, to but it flatly.
Greg Majewski