 Off-Topic / Debate / 6007
  This will get someone upset...

I've noticed a few people like posting their signature files on Lugnet or a "signature" like saluation. I think degree posting a quote, or a link to your lego pages is fine. What I really see as bragging and I feel is really annoying is posting your (...) (24 years ago, 12-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) I don't disagree with you, but at the same time I think that people should be allowed to have whatever signature they want. I see it as a form of freedom of expression. I wouldn't want to stop people from posting with their chosen signatures (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) Points well taken Richard. There are several ways of looking at my comments. Here is a recent direct email I received from this post and my reply to this poor Canadian: ##### Dave Hylands wrote (me directly): Hi, Marc Cook wrote: > What I (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) if you've got a proper newsreader, you ought to be able to turn off the display of signatures, assuming people use the proper dash dash space ("-- ") delimiter. that should prevent your being annoyed. (24 years ago, 13-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) While I don't include my position in posts from work, I do make it clear when I am posting from work. This is because I have my Netscape at work set up with my home e-mail identity, but I don't want to hide the fact that the post is (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) Well, I use the web interface so currently (unless I get off my duff and find a macro solution) my sig is whatever I feel like typing by hand. But when I was posting via Netscape news, my sig was what I had configured it to be. Since I posted (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  (canceled)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) I've read your post a couple of times, and I am frankly baffled. Why does this annoy you so much? It's a couple of lines at the end of a post that are incredibly easy to ignore. (...) Some people post to more places than LUGNET. They may not (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

This is just petty, IMO. Who really cares? (Besides you, obviously.) So it is another 4 lines on a message, JUST SKIP IT! Here is a quote for you: "Love it or leave it." And as far as the bandwith argument goes - God forbid that each message be one (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) I generally agree with Marc on this one. I don't think there's anything LUGNet can or should do to ban or even discourage this kind of thing, and as freedom of speech has already been mentioned in others' replies, I won't rehash that reasoning (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) I already said that I really doubt Lugnet would agree with me enough to do anything about it. (...) You're missing my point. I mentioned the part of signature files that really are uneccesary --- posting your job title and position. signature (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

I really thought about posting a reply earlier, but I decided against it. Here's goes second round. Marc, the problem is your own, over something, that is it really does bother you as much as you say it does, can be simply overlooked by not reading (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) <snip> (...) I didn't miss it at all. That's what my reply to you was about. I then went on to state another, related point: I believe that short .sigs (regardless of content) are much less annoying than long ones. (...) Even if it's not (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) 1. As long as a signature is short (four lines or under is best), it doesn't really matter what the content is, as long as it's not offensive in a way that violates the charter of the newsgroup you are posting to. 2. It may not be important (...) (24 years ago, 13-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) As an example, section five of the Discussion Group Terms and Conditions states that you won't post defamatory or profane (among other things) messages. If you look at the snippets from your note above, you may find three breaches of this (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) Yeah, seems like a fairly simple case of a personal dislike, motivated by I don't know what, but not really important to me. I use the web interface now as well, but if I ever switch back to a news reader I'll have my sig pre-defined for every (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) He he! Good one! (...) Why? All quotes or just silly ones? :-) (I trimmed everything except debate from the followups, which I recommend to everyone involved in this to emulate) A good thought provoking quote is a good thing. It's when they (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) ;-) (...) as (...) Because they're totally inocuous, whle quotes are something that someone went out of their way to add. (...) Actually, I find really thought provoking quotes quite nice. But I can seriously do without Monty Python quotes. (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) Marc, I don't understand. Should people be ashamed of where they work or what they do? (24 years ago, 17-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) That's ridiculous. It's not like that at all. It's like meeting someone you don't know at a lego convention, and they give you their card. I've done that. It's got my name and e-mail address on it, it's small, it's convenient, it's an accepted (...) (24 years ago, 17-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) Might not be important, but it might be interesting. After all, part of having a community is meeting people, right? (24 years ago, 17-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)

  Re: This will get someone upset...

(...) That's the point I think. Selçuk (24 years ago, 17-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.admin.terms, lugnet.faq)