 Off-Topic / Debate / 592
Re: Mini Auction - 6273 - Rock Island Refuge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 11:41:34 GMT

MAIN PURPOSE OF THIS POST: END THIS THREAD!

I read several groups each morning, looking for things to buy, thus I have
lugnet.market.auction on my newsgroups to read list.  No off-topic.debate.
I don't have time to read debates, and normally don't reply or read them,
except when they are Cross-posted to the auction group.  Please odn't
cross-post them anymore.  Since I have seen everything, I will add my two
cents...

It sounds like you don't want competition.

Of course I don't, show me a seller who does!  You'll be telling us next
that you relish being outbid by other buyers :)

  Of course you don't want competition, but making an unamusing and rude
post towards someone who offers competition will look bad in the bidders'
eyes, which someone tried to tell you.

Well, in a free market your wants as a seller are somewhat secondary
to the wants of the much larger group of buyers you want to do
business with, aren't they?

   Well, is this a buyer's market or a seller's market?  Either one works in
the free-market.  Mike, I think Scott sees it as a seller's market.  Meaning
that sellers should do whatever they are capable of to squeeze as much out
of buyers as possible, inlcuding not compete with each other, but make the
buyers compete.  Of course, we buyers do not really appreciate that!  As a
buyer I certainly appreciate an additional sale offer, and

something tells me whining like this doesn't do you much good in a lot of
people's eyes.

As a buyer, I agree with this.  The seller had two choices: to whine or bite
his lip - he was too angered to bite his lip, and this hurts the appearance
of his character.

I really don't think anybody gives a toss Mike.  I dare say they would • speak
for themselves if they did.  I think you're flattering yourself if you
believe you have the authority to represent the views of "a lot of • people".
Perhaps best to stick to your own opinion.

   I think "a lot of people" find this thread very annoying (at least in the
auction group) and found your first reply post very rude.

I often like to flatter myself, thanks.  And while I wouldn't presume
to say I have any "authority" over anyone there are times when I do
indeed seem to say things that a lot of other people are thinking.

   Since Mike said what I was thinking, I did not offer support until now.
I don't have any authority in this matter, either, but I think these threads
should be posted in the proper group.

Else I wouldn't receive lots of nice "way to go" or "I agree
completely" e-mail messages from people who (I guess) just don't like

Hey Mike - way to go!  I agree completely.  I would not even have bothered
if this thread had not annoyed me so.

Kinda funny to thank someone and call them a parasite all in the same
message.

Just adding a sense of balance to my post :)

I guess the smiley there is supposed to make everyone think it's ok?
I don't find it amusing or acceptable to refer to another respectable
person here as a parasite, and yes, that's MY opinion.

Like I said earlier, it is the principle (thanks Larry) that I'm objecting
to.
1 auction,1 seller.  If there are 3 folks selling the same item then there
should be 3
auctions.  Why don't you ask if you can advertise you Lego for sale in • your
local toyshop window?  I'm sure the shopkeeper will explain in words of • one
syllable :)

   Whether you like the man or not, JFK said, "Life is unfair."  Maybe you
found the other seller's post to be unfair.  Too bad, thats the way it
wokrs.  You are not helping yourself by first annoying, and then continuing
to annoy prospective bidders.  Another saying, "The customer is always
right!"

Well, your analogy would make sense except that the toyshop owner OWNS
the window.

   Well said, Mike.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 (S@H Canada)